ART THERAPY AT ART CONNECTION STUDIO
Art Therapy services are offered to our artists participating in our Vinfen programs. The art work produced in Art Therapy is for personal exploration and development and not for sale or display in our studio and gallery. Art Therapy is a form of counseling that uses art as a primary mode of communication to improve and enhance the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals of all ages. Art Therapists are trained both in psychology and art at the Master’s level to provide a range of therapeutic services. Art Therapists are able to use the power of art as a tool for therapy – it is this that makes it different than the usual talk therapies.
Does one need to have artistic skill or training to participate in Art Therapy? Absolutely not. No art training or experience is needed for those participating in Art Therapy. An individual can expect to work in a partnership with the Art Therapist utilizing simple art materials in a creative process. The Art Therapist introduces strategies and directives to promote expression, awareness, communication, and growth toward goals.
Art Therapists are trained in traditional verbal therapies alongside expressive approaches. Vinfen’s Art Therapy service is comprehensive and all therapists are supervised by a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Board Certified, Registered Art Therapist (ATR-BC).
WHY USE ART THERAPY?
- Art Therapy provides an alternative to regular talk therapy. Art-making is a non-threatening way to communicate thoughts and feelings.
- Art-making is a constructive process that promotes a sense of control, making expression of thoughts and feelings safe and manageable.
- Art-making can be used for stress management, self-soothing, building self esteem, and uplifting moods.
- Art-making can be an ideal and productive form of expression for those who feel less comfortable with verbal expression. Art-making offers a powerful means of expression for those who find speaking about past issues too painful or scary.
HOW CAN ART THERAPY SESSIONS HELP SOMEONE?
- Each person will have a unique and individualized path in Art Therapy.
- Some common areas of focus include:
- Building self expression and communication skills
- Stress management and stress reduction
- Healing from traumatic events and/or histories
- Grief and loss
- Increasing self awareness
- Healing from illness/medical issues
- Supporting mental health wellness
- Building practical and meaningful coping skills
You can find out more about Art Therapy from the American Art Therapy Association website: https://arttherapy.org/
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT ART THERAPY AT VINFEN?
Contact Marita McDermott at 860-236- 0705 or at [email protected]