The Studio Next Door – Vinfen’s Art Therapy Department
What is Art Therapy?
Art Therapy is a form of counseling that uses art as a primary mode of communication to improve and enhance the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals of all ages. Art therapists are trained both in psychology and art at the Master’s level to provide a range of therapeutic services. Art Therapists are able to use the power of art as a tool for therapy – it is this that makes them different than regular talk therapists. This set of tools and flexibility allows each session to be specific for that individual’s needs.
Art therapists are trained in traditional verbal therapies alongside expressive approaches. Vinfen’s art therapy department is one of the most comprehensive in the state and all therapists are supervised by a licensed, board certified supervisor. Individual and group sessions are offered. Individual sessions are 30-60 minutes depending on individual needs. Group sessions are 60 minutes.
What should I expect from an Art Therapy session?
An individual can expect to work in a partnership with the art therapist utilizing simple art materials in creative process that does not require any artistic skill or training. Goals and areas of focus will be explored and integrated into sessions. The art therapist will introduce strategies and art materials to promote expression, awareness, communication, and growth toward goals. Art Therapy is offered in an individual or group setting.
Why use Art Therapy?
- Art therapy provides an alternative to regular talk therapy. Art making is a non-threatening way to communicate thoughts and feelings.
- Art- making offers a powerful means of expression for those who find speaking about past issues too painful or scary. This can be especially true for children who may not yet have all the language skills to express themselves.
- Art-making is a constructive process that promotes a sense of control, making expression of thoughts and feelings safe and manageable.
- Art-making can be used for stress management, self-soothing, building self esteem, and uplifting moods.
- Art-making can be an ideal and productive form of expression for those who feel less comfortable with verbal expression.
Who can benefit from Art Therapy?
The beauty and versatility of art therapy is that it can be utilized with individuals of all ages and backgrounds. The nature of this therapeutic work is to adapt to the very individual needs of each person allowing for sessions to be highly specialized.
Do I need to have artistic skill or training to participate in art therapy?
Absolutely not. No art training or skill is needed for art therapy. The focus of the art therapy is in creating a partnership with the therapist and exploring to the process of art making – not the product.
How can Art Therapy sessions help me?
Each person will have a unique and individualized path in art therapy.
Some common areas of focus include:
- Building self expression and communication skills
- Stress management and stress reduction
- Healing from traumatic events and/or histories
- Grief and loss
- Increasing self awareness
- Healing from illness/medical issues
- Supporting mental health wellness
- Building practical and meaningful coping skills
How can I learn more about Art Therapy at Vinfen?
Contact Marita McDermott at 860-236-0705 or at email@example.com